Monday, October 18, 2010

Offline

Recently, I've been quite out of the online community. My books haven't taken over the place of my 'social life' (if you would call those a form of 'life'). I just don't feel the need to communicate like that these days. Somehow.

& I've never liked twitter. How expressive can one get when she's restricted by word counts? Unless they're interesting, random daily observances that call for attention, interesting responses, lyrics or thought-provoking one-liners. But "I'm so bored", "going to school now, just missed my bus!", "I hate breakouts" tweets?

Maybe I'm missing the function of twitter. From what I understand, some people just need "somewhere to rant". I question the amount of relief one can get. For others, it's a"platform for jokes and soccer debate" etc.. Perhaps it's for communication? But how much, besides day-to-day gossips and daily dilemma?

Personally, word restrictions, no direct commenting and how tweets do not actually follow a conversation style put me off. (wow i just discovered twitlonger.com)

-

Facebook isn't better but they do serve certain functions we find useful. I think we all know well enough so I shan't elaborate further. Yeah I admit to using it too often sometimes, guilt fills me when I find myself using it instead of spending time productively, but that is besides the point.

I do think there's a difference between using something because it's useful and... I don't know, why do people use twitter? (I still have my rotting account I check sometimes though)

(enlighten me if you may, there may be crucial things I'm missing. For the sake of making me a less naive person?)

------------------------------------------------------

I just think people are "communicating" much more than they need to, forming huge networks of acquaintances and ironically an even emptier sense at the end of the day.

No comments: